My salad-for-supper obsession continues apace. Partly because I seem to have about a hundred odd items in the freezer, that I froze in good faith far too long ago, and now need to find a way of using. Enter the salad, the perfect vehicle for a mismatch hotchpotch of freezer tombola. I love chicken livers, and they’re perfect flash fried with a splash of sherry vinegar; and the croutons and lardons turns this into a handsome supper.
It goes like this:
Warm Chicken Liver and Sherry Vinegar Salad
Makes: Supper for two hungry offal lovers
Takes: 10 minutes
Bakes: 10 minutes
2 slices of stale, white bread
2 tablespoons of garlic oil
300g Chicken Livers
1.5 tablespoons sherry vinegar
Frisée or rocket leaves
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 tablespoon olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Cut the bread into even cubes, and place in a single layer in a roasting tray. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of garlic oil, shuffle and toss the bread, and drizzle with the other tablespoon. Sprinkle with salt and bake for 5-10 minutes, checking on them and shuffling them regularly, until they are firm and golden brown. Set to one side to cool.
2. Fry the lardons in a dry frying pan over a medium heat until golden and crisp. Set to one side, but do not drain the fat that they have produced.
3. Turn the heat up to medium high. Fry the chicken livers in the bacon fat until just cooked: they should still be pink on the inside. Just as they lives are done, add a tablespoon of sherry vinegar to the pan, and allow it to sizzle briefly, tossing the livers in it, before setting the livers to one side.
4. Make a quick vinaigrette by whisking together the olive oil, dijon mustard, and the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of sherry vinegar, and seasoning with a little salt.
5. Plate up the salad, starting with the frisée or rocket, then scattering the croutons and lardons. Place the livers on the top of each salad. Drizzle the vinaigrette generously over the salad.
Icing on the Cake
We ate this without faffing about with extras, and I felt so smug about the extra freezer space that I immediately stuffed it with mini magnums and fruit pastille lollies.